When you are on a diet, sometimes it’s hard to come up with healthy options, especially when you are in a hurry. Here is one of my favorite quick dinner recipes from one of the most popular trending diets right now.
As always, to make my “Easy Meals” list, the recipe had to include only a few ingredients and be ready in less than 30 minutes. This Cod and Vegetable dish is a simple light dinner while still packing a high protein content – perfect for after those early evening workouts.
The recipe is designed to get your metabolism going and feed the muscles the protein they need to stay strong. I found out about this program after reading a blog post -the fast metabolism diet review. I bought the cookbook shortly after. This diet cycles through different food groups on alternate days. This recipe is from “Phase 2” where you are focusing on eating high protein, low carbohydrate, and low-fat recipes.
An easy to make, protein-rich, low carb recipe with baked fish, broccoli and asparagus.
5 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 1/2 Cup Asparagus
- 1/2 Cup Broccoli
- 1 Filet Fresh Cod
- 1/2 Lemon
- Sprinkle Paprika
- Pinch Sea Salt
- Pinch Dry Mustard
- Fresh Dill
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Chop the vegetables into bite sized pieces.
- Add the vegetables in a glass baking dish and sprinkle with Tamari.
- Cover with foil and bake 10 minutes.
- Put the cod on top of the vegetables and top with lemon slices.
- Season with paprika, salt, mustard and dill.
- Bake until cod is flaky and starts to break apart. This is about 10-15 minutes depending on the thickness of the fillet.
- Serve with fresh lemon slices and fresh dill.
How Does this Recipe Burn Fat?
The high protein content of the fish & green vegetables makes this a natural, healthy choice for anyone trying to keep their waistline in check. Here are a few basic facts for you.
- Cod has more grams of protein per calorie than almost any other fish. In fact, it packs a whopping 19 grams of protein in just a 3-ounce serving.
- Brocolli is often referred to as one of the super-veggies. It is high in fiber and an excellent source of vitamin C & K. And believe it or not – broccoli also has a good amount of vegetable protein.
- Asparagus is another vegetable full of fiber (the fiber keeps you full longer). It also contains anti-oxidants and plenty of vitamins and minerals.
To find more fat-burning recipes, visit the MetabolicDietbook website. I found a few other easy recipes that can be scaled back for one or two people on the site.
What is this Ingredient – Tamari?
One of the ingredients in this dish I hadn’t tried before was Tamari. For those of you unfamiliar with it, Tamari is very similar to soy sauce, but so much healthier for you! It is perfect for those of you following a gluten-free lifestyle since it contains little or no wheat. Just be sure to check the labels.
You can find Tamari in the ethnic grocery isle or the organic section. Often times it will be referred to as Tamari Soy Sauce. The flavor is a bit mellower and more complex – regular soy sauce can be a bit harsh in some dishes. So if you haven’t given Tamari a try – go for it!